Friday, May 3, 2013

Classics Club May Meme

The Classics Club question of the month:
 
Tell us about the classic book(s) you’re reading this month. You can post about what you’re looking forward to reading in May, or post thoughts-in-progress on your current read(s).
 
My classics plans for May are
 
  • Margaret Atwood "The Blind Assassin" - this is a totally different Atwood-experience for me, since I have so far read only her dystopias ("The Handmaid's Tale" and "Oryx and Crake"). It is not a fast read and requires a lot of attention. There is very little dialogue in the novel. I am about half way through and taking my time with it, reading now and then. I love it that the story is set in Canada, such a different setting for me personally.
  • Charles Dickens "A Tale of Two Cities" - I started it, but then something else distracted me I think (damn you, Women's Prize!). But it's not your regular Dickens-brick, so there is no reason why I shouldn't pull myself together and finish it off in May. Also, Dickens' books have illustrations (insert a childish squeeek)!
  • Arthur Conan Doyle "The Hound of Baskervilles" - I joined a readalong for that, which will last for the whole month.
 
What will maybe distract me from the goal of classics are other books (I blame Sarah and Christine :D).
 
What will hopefully help me to reach my goal is a week-long readathon.
 

18 comments:

  1. I'm a Marg Atwood fan and enjoyed Blind Assassin (although not quite as much as some of her others). I also loved A Tale of Two Cities - I read it during one of my Francophile phases about 15 years ago!
    Good luck with your 3 choices - I've never read any Doyle, so I'll be curious about how you go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All three reads are pleasant, so far. I am just about to finish The Blind Assassin and have found myself in an interesting position, where it's difficult for me to rate the book. It's going to be super interesting writing down my thoughts on it :)

      Delete
  2. I love the illustrations in Dickens too. Nice variety of reading - enjoy your month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I intend to :))

      Delete
  3. I read The Blind Assassin so long ago. It's such an amazing story. I'd definitely re-read it, but there are just so many Atwood books to read, I don't know when that will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean :) I was actually look at the Atwood books yesterday in book shop and realised that I have no idea which one I should/would like to read next.

      Delete
    2. If you haven't read The Handmaid's Tale, you should. It's my favourite. I'm also going to read Bodily Harm and Alias Grace soon (ish), but mostly because they were both given to me, so I didn't really have to choose.

      Delete
    3. The Handmaid's Tale is a very good book :) I think it was the first book I reviewed for my blog in the beginning of this year. Alias Grace does sound like a possible choice and lately I read a review on The Edible Woman, which triggered my interest (I don't know if you have read it but it is about a woman who suddenly cannot eat anymore) and also because it is one of Atwood's first novels.

      Delete
  4. Ah, those illustrations in Dickens' are really a nice bonus, eh?
    I'm still curious about The Hound of Baskervilles, I don't quite like Holmes (I prefer Agatha Christies), but this particular title intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see other people liking the illustrations, too. I am not sure but I was wondering if those are from the time his stories were published in newspapers.

      I actually prefer Christie books too, when given a chance, but I figured it would be good to get to know the original Sherlock Holmes, especially given all the hype the BBC series is getting right now.

      Delete
  5. Oh no, I'm sorry to distract you from your classics! But for real, Outlander is awesome. It SHOULD be a classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, exactly the kind of answer I was expecting :D

      Delete
  6. I'm reading only Oliver Twist for May. If I am able to finish on time, I could start Silas Marner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oliver Twist is a great choice. I have that book on my shelf too, but not sure when I'm going to get to it...

      Delete
  7. I hope you enjoy The Hound of the Baskervilles -- I've only read a handful of stories, so I'm very much looking forward to reading more Sherlock Holmes for the Classics Club. And sorry for the distraction -- I seem to distract myself an awful lot these days... Unfortunately my bookish curiosity far outpaces my reading speed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was discouraged when I started Doyle from "the beginning" - "The Study in Scarlet" - it's a bit different kind of a story I had trouble getting into... But "The Hound..." is very entertaining indeed :)

      As to distractions - yea... saw "The Golem and the Djinni" in book shop the other day... now it's here at home with me ... *cough* :D

      Delete
  8. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on A Tale of Two Cities and The Hound of the Baskervilles both of which I have on my Classics Club list. Hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for stopping by. Will be looking forward to your thoughts as well (once you get to those ;) )

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)