Saturday, May 18, 2013

Bout of Books: Friday


Friday was an a-okey day, except for this totally random and accidental nap me and the boyfriend took in the eveningish and which lasted for two hours, and during which I had this awesome dream with Ray Bradbury, who was such a nice guy to talk to (and I am sure he was that nice or even nicer of a person in life). Compared to my regular semi-nightmarish dreams (side effect of quitting a certain medicine, as I learned) this was like a breath of fresh air. And maaaan, bookish dreams! Yes. Also I had very nice chat with Ellie in Twitter in the evening, which totally deserves a mention of its own.

The books I read on Friday: Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury, The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde.
Total pages read: 127, which is fewer than on Thursday, but matters not, because...
Total books finished: 2 (!!)
What do my cats think: Robert agreed to pose with my Shiny New Book Pile the Ultimate Temptress:


Hard to tell by his impression, but I'd say he is intrigued (as am I!). Or maybe he's thinking "oh, woman, when does this week end already so I don't have to do this anymore..."

Flavour of the day: Lots of makis from the best sushi place in Helsinki.



So I did dig into The Eyre Affair and it seems like exactly the kind of light-ish, entertaining read that I expected. Also I love the design of this series (first emotion when I was about to take the book out of the parcel - why the hell did they send me a used copy :D) and I would very much like to see all the Thursday Next books gracing my bookshelves!

So, Saturday - today I will try to get some reading outside done, if the thunderstorm doesn't kick in. Later there is a Very Important Ice Hockey Match between Finland and Sweden (like the arch rivalry or something), and the boyfriend wants to go out to see it. We shall see what happens. I doubt I will be able to read in a pub full of yelling and cursing Finns.

14 comments:

  1. Good luck with your reading today!! Even if the thunderstorm hits you can curl up with the kitty and read books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ciska! There was no thunderstorm of course, otherwise I would have gladly curled up with the kitties (yes, I have two of them, maybe I'll take an honourary photo of the other one on the last day of the readathon :)) )

      Delete
  2. Yay for good bookish dreams. I had one where I was offered a new job but it was half my current salary. At least it wasn't set in my old high school...I hate those dreams.

    I love the Thursday Next books. I gave The Eyre Affair out for World Book Night this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maan, the high school dreams suck *shudder*

      Ah, I do hope the Book Night book receivers were very happy with this selection!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you got to Eyre Affair and are enjoying it! Hockey is a challenge to fit in with reading, the beginning of the week was US Hockey playoffs and TRR was constantly checking the score between pages. As his team was getting stomped he didn't feel obliged to actually watch. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, yes. It's sometimes difficult to read during sports competitions, even if I am not watching myself, I find myself distracted time to time. Thanks Mary!

      Delete
  4. I love our twitter chats :)

    I think we are both making excellent progress, you've finished 2 (woohoo!) and I've at last finished 1. Here's to a good weekend of reading. Although watching an ice hockey match and cursing Finns sounds quite entertaining too.

    Personally I think Robert is just most upset that he doesn't have the skills to read these awesome books. Unless of course he does, but that would be altogether too stressful and slightly freaky. Still, he's checking them out that's for sure.

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't as entertaining as it might sound, specially considering Finland lost and played badly, so overall everyone was just real grumpy and I left long before it was over :)

      Haha I think you are giving Robert way much credit. Here's how it is: I have two cats. One is not so good looking, but she's real smart and she talks (in cat language). And then there is Robert "Cute, but stupid". He really ain't the sharpest crayon in the box :D, but he's cute as hell, of course, and we love him dearly.

      Wooohooo the last day!

      Delete
  5. Okay, I'm officially in love with Robert - he's scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe yea looks cute and innocent enough but inside is a MAJOR rascal that pulled down all kinds of things from shelves last night, for example :))

      Delete
  6. You have no idea how happy that book pile makes me :-) Cause yay for new books, but I also just love seeing a brand spankin' new copy of Outlander waiting to be read. Just makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's a pretty inviting pile overall :) I'm thinking of choosing a good moment to start Outlander (somehow taking on a new series feels like taking on a major project), I think however that it has a potential to be an excellent summer read!

      Delete
  7. The shiny new book pile is indeed the ultimate temptress -- especially considering the titles that are currently in yours! And Outlander definitely a project, but also a good summer read -- a little Jamie makes every girl's summer better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a project if I know that the books are decent, and if several bloggers I follow say they are then I'm quite confident to dive in :) I want to start Outlander like, right now, but there are several other books to be read in June, so I'll try to hold back :)

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)