Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Classics Club Spin - #14

Classics Club Spin number was taken out of the top hat a few days ago and it was 14 - which means that based on the list I made for the event, I have to read "Arrowsmith" by Sinclair Lewis by April the 1st.
 
The book came from "Mh?" category, meaning I have little to zero knowledge about this novel. I have deliberately avoided reading anything related to it and all I know so far is that it has to do with medicine and science, which sounds exciting. I also know that in 1926, Sinclair was awarded Pulitzer Prize for this novel, which he refused to accept saying that all prizes are dangerous and because he did not believe his novel to be what the Pulitzer Prize symbolises (full letter from Lewis to the Pulitzer Prize Committee can be found here).
 
So, all in all I am quite happy with the choice right now and for over long time, I feel it is good to approach a novel I know nothing of beforehand. I don't even have a copy yet, so first I have to hunt the book down.
 
And, also good that I don't have to read "War and Peace" yet afterall :)
 
 
 
 



 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Riv -- I just saw you followed my blog and when I came over to check yours out, I saw you're a fellow Classics Clubber! I'm looking forward to checking out your reviews. Good luck with your list and thanks for the follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes it's awesome to meet fellow Classics Clubbers! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey--War and Peace is awesome! Just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I agree. I just wasn't that thrilled over the idea to have to "race" through it in one month's time :) Ideally I'd join a readalong for that one, I think that would be nice to discuss with others, while reading.

      Delete
    2. Oh absolutely! I read it over the course of 6 months or so. I just always like to tell people not to be intimidated by the size of it--it's such a pleasure to read. A readalong would be a wonderful way to do it.

      Delete
  3. I'm not familiar with this novel, Riv, so I'll be curious to read your follow up post. I don't think I've read anything by Sinclair Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had problems finding a copy of this book, I didn't find it from my local bookshops, so I had to order it online. The bookshop I usually go to didn't have a single thing by Lewis, so maybe he is not that sought after. Nevertheless, I am positively anxious that it will be an interesting read and will definitely write down my thoughts as well.

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)