Thursday, February 14, 2013

Brain Food, IV


So the other day I was out in the town, and figured I'll hop into my local new-book-store... Just to take a look, right... Oh, who am I kidding. I think all book-a-holics only hop into bookshops in hopes of not coming back out alone, meaning with books.
 
Well big was my surprise (not!) when I saw that all Penguin Classics softcovers were 50% off. So I figured I'd get a few for my Classics Club challenge list. Let's call the gorgeous fiery red clothbound Penguin one a casualty... ahem.
 
* Bram Stoker "Dracula" - want, want, want. Could maybe the number coming out of the top hat for the Classics Spin challenge be 4, pretty please? I recall browsing a copy of this book back when I was tiny, but of course I remember near nothing, and it was in Estonian, and whine whine whine. Time for a proper read.
* Charles Dickens "Bleak House" - yes, when I added this one to my Classics Club list, I wasn't aware it's a thousand page book... But it has pictures! And I've been craving for some Dickens for such a long time that I wouldn't even mind if number 6 was picked out of the top hat for the Spin challenge.
* And the casualty, David Herbert Lawrence "Lady Chatterley's Lover" - now I am not a shallow person and under normal circumstances don't give a rabbit's tail for how a book looks like, but this cover I couldn't resist. Red! Phoenix! Also I deserve a nice gift having finished my first classics book for the challenge! Something like that (just as with drinking, one can always find a reason to buy a book). My memories of Lawrence aren't among the best ("Sons and Lovers"), but but but. After having read the first paragraph of this one, I had this huge inner smile growing in me, and now I'm happily about 1/4 done already.

5 comments:

  1. I find it impossible to leave a bookshop empty handed. I 'popped' into two today, spent ages browsing, and I've come home with three books which is actually quite restrained for me. I hope you enjoy these! That copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew (read: I told my boyfriend!) there were people like me out there! The Penguin clothbounds are real nice and if I had a little pile of money or a rich very old aunt to whom I would be next to kin... I guess I needn't say more. I was gifted (by the beforementioned boyfriend) a copy of the same series today, I picked "Oliver Twist", it's a very pretty light cover with clocks on it, and can't wait to read. O how shallow we humans are afterall ;)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the Penguin clothbound classics -- they are so pretty! I have Lady Chatterly's Lover on my list too and it's one I'm really looking forward to reading -- I love a classic that is also a bit controversial! The fact that it's a banned book and counts for the challenge I'm hosting makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Recently I also got another one - Oliver Twist; very pretty light cover with clocks on it. It was a gift from boyfriend (ain't he awesome :) ) I have finished Lady C by now and I think controversial is a pretty good word to describe it. I am planning to write down my thoughts on it this weekend.

      And I'll check out your banned book challenge too, sounds interesting!

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to reading your post on Lady C!

      I have a bit of a mis-matched collection of classics, which has it's own charm, but I do have a soft-spot of those clothbound ones! They make an awesome gift for sure :)

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)