Friday, February 15, 2013

Book Beginnings: Lady Chatterley's Lover




 
Book Beginnings on Fridays is a meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. To participate, share the opening sentence of your current read. Include the title and the author. Share thoughts, impressions, or anything else inspiration-worthy.
 
 
 
 
"Lady Chatterley's Lover" by David  Herbert Lawrence:
 
Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically. The cataclysm has happened, we are among the ruins, we start to build up new little habitats, to have new little hopes. It is rather hard work: there is now no smooth road into the future: but we go round, or scramble over the obstacles. We've got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen.
 
I had no intention to start reading this book yet. But after having read that delicious, almost poetic first paragraph, there was no way to not start reading this book. :)
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. That is a great opener....thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this a long time ago. Now after reading its beginning I am thinking I should read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is soo much better than "Sons and Lovers". Given, Lawrence wrote "Lady C" 15 years later, so there was plenty of time between to mature as an author :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm now a new follower of yours :)
    I've not read anything by D.H.Lawrence, but that paragraph is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sam, I've been peeking at your blog for a while now :)

      I did finish "Lady C" a few days ago and have very much mixed feelings about this book, once it has had time to sink in properly I'll try to write them down and create some order in this chaos of thoughts.

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)