Friday, February 8, 2013

Book Beginnings: Complete Sherlock Holmes

 
 
Book Beginnings on Fridays is a meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. To participate, share the opening sentence of your current read. Include the title and the author. Share thoughts, impressions, or anything else inspiration-worthy.





"(Every story ever written about fiction's most famous detective in) The Penguin Complete Sherlock Holmes" by Arthur Conan Doyle:
 
In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army.
 
So begins A Study in Scarlet, the first novel in this enormous, 1100-page-small-font brick of a book.


10 comments:

  1. I might have heard of this Sherlock Holmes story. Anyway, the surgeon should make it a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's pretty well known, plus plenty of films/series made after it. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this one sounds impressive...and hefty!

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe yes, it's not the book you want to carry in handbag that's for sure :)

      Delete
  3. I've enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes series on public television (Jeremy Brett), but I've only read a couple of the stories. This sounds like a book I'd love. Is that Dr. Watson narrating in the book's beginning?
    My Book Beginnings / Friday 56 post features DAKOTA BLUES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dr Watson is narrating. It is captivating to read his observations on Holmes.

      I'll go check out your blog now.

      Delete
  4. I've been reading the Sherlock books in order and love them. A Study in Scarlet is super good!

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read a few novels/stories here and there (The Hound of Baskervilles, for example), but the reason I purchased this was also because I wanted to read them all, and read them in order :)

      Thanks for organising!

      Delete
  5. I would so love to read these stories one day. I also have a huge brick of book with all the stories in it...one day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, one day :) I'm taking my time with these and read a story now and then, so I think it's gonna take me a looooot of time to actually finish this book. But what a happy day it'll be then! :)

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)