Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Closing the lid of March - an exceptional reading month

Yesterday Jan took a look at my blog and said that I haven't posted in three weeks. It's a sad truth and I'm a major slacker. Moving on though, March was an awesome reading month - all the books I read I rated 4 or 5 out of five. Yep! I don't think this has happened before. (If I had managed to finish American Gods this wouldn't have happened! But I didn't finish.) I also read two books in Estonian, which is good since I tend to forget some words in my native tongue already - not cool.


* Ready Player One by Ernest Cline -5/5
 
* The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell - 5/5
I can now say David Mitchell is one of my favourite authors. If I had to say what was better, this or Cloud Atlas, I'd have real hard time deciding. I already have next book by him that I plan to read - Number9dream. It's also pretty cool that both Jan and I love Mitchell books and it's nice to discuss stuff and share the opinions.
 
* Timuka tütar by Indrek Hargla - 5/5
Indrek Hargla is an Estonian author who started out writing fantasy, but the books I've read by him are from this series of medieval mystery. The main character is druggist Melchior Wakenstede, who helps to catch crooks in old Tallinn around 1400s. It's funny and a treat for everyone who knows Tallinn Old Town fairly well because all the locations are very recognisable (I lived in Tallinn over 10 years before I moved to Helsinki). The direct translation of the title would be "Daughter of the Hangman" or something like that.
 
* Burial Rites by Hannah Kent - 4/5
Very solid debut by Hannah Kent, although I didn't find it quite as mindblowing as some other people. It did take me to the midst of cold and cruel Icelanding landscapes, though. Ending felt a bit abrupt.
 
* The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury - 5/5 (re-read)
Since this is one of my favourite books of all time, rating it is kinda pointless.
 
* Bullerby lapsed by Astrid Lindgren - 5/5 (re-read)
My favourite book from the childhood. I must have read this book maybe 30+ times.
 
* Attachments by Rainbow Rowell - 4/5
I think this is the kind of book that meets the goal it sets. It's an easy read and in that light it is quite well done. I am glad I tried a Rainbow Rowell book, but it's unlikely I will be reading anything else by her because this is just not the kind of literature I prefer most of the time (like... 95% of the time). I did give it high rating though because rating it lower just because I am not that fond of the genre would be a bit weird. A very decent poolside read (if you are the kind of person who likes hanging out by the pool, that is - I ain't.)
 
* Something Rotten (Thursday Next #4) by Jasper Fforde - 4/5
Thursday Next kicking ass once again. It doesn't get maximum points though because even though it was a very fun ride, I missed inclusion of such hilarious literary characters as there were in past (Miss Havisham!). I mean Hamlet's okay but okay ain't exceptional. I am curious of how this series is going to go on now because several loose threads were tied in this book and from what I've heard, some pretty big changes are going to take place in future books.
 
I don't think we watched any movies this month - the story of my life...* There are a few things though that are going to be in Finnish movie theatres soon that I definitely want to see - The Grand Budapest Hotel and Miyazaki's latest treat The Wind Rises (Kaze tachinu).

Edit: I remember now that we did watch a movie in the beginning of the month - Blade Runner (1982). I am very fascinated with everything AI-related and this film was overall very atmospheric, very well done. Though when I heard the film music at first (Vangelis - it's just so recognisable you don't even need to check it) it felt a bit odd but I think it matched well with the movie. I'm curious to read Dick's novel as well since from what I've heard, it's hugely different from the movie (not sure the movie can even be called an adaptation).

22 comments:

  1. WAIT NO. I will probably not be the only person that says this but let me be the first: Don't judge Rainbow Rowell by Attachments. I read Attachments and didn't care for it at all, because I couldn't get behind the premise, but then I love love loved Eleanor and Park. So don't give up on Rainbow Rowell! Read Eleanor and Park and then if you still do not like her, it will at that point be fair to give up on her.

    You had an amazing reading month, also! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just hate it when you type a long comment and then accidentally click "sign out", which is located on the right bottom of the comment box, which kinda feels like it's meant for the button "OK/Publish"? :D

      Ok, let's try this again.

      I think Attachments was well written, it did pull me in and the whole subject matter of connecting through the screen is very much my thing as well, since I've formed several relationships like that in my life, but my problem with these books is that I don't really remember them later, or they don't stand out that much. It's hard to explain. Hence the poolside read.

      I admit I'm a bit wary towards Rowell's YA books. Eleanor and Park would be my first choice, should I decide to read those (I see the whole blogosphere relating well to Fangirl because of the fangirling thing and being socially a bit awkward, but I've never been the fangirling type myself plus I'm not the Harry Potter generation), but I've been made careful by some comments that the whole Korean/immigrant theme in the book can come out a bit poorly. And I know it's just the kind of thing that would irk me. Have you read Fangirl by the way?

      Thank you very much for your comment though, Jenny, I think I'll still be keeping more open mind towards her other books now. It'll also be interesting to see what the whole YA audience will think of Rowell's new adult book - will they like it?

      Delete
    2. I totally hate that and am relieved to know I am not the only person that signs out instead of publishing!

      Delete
    3. Good to know I'm not alone :) It has happened to me more than once... It's shameful.

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant reading month! I hope April is just as good to you :)

    I have just downloaded Burial Rites because it was nice and cheap on amazon and I am looking forward to reading it. Though I am slightly wary given the overwhelmingly positive response to it. I still need to get to some more Bradbury and another Thursday Next - I'm already planning my summer reading for the year so maybe I'll make sure they're both on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellie! I have high hopes for April as well :)

      I totally understand the wariness towards The Burial Rites, but I'm pretty sure you will find this book at least decent, if nothing more. Plus I learned interesting facts about Iceland (how weird is their naming policy?), so that's never a bad thing. :)

      I have the 5th Thursday Next at home, then I will have to start buying the books again. But I'm so glad bloggers recommended me Jasper Fforde! :)

      Delete
  3. That's great you and Jan have a favorite author in common -- it's always fun to have books to talk about :) Burial Rites has been calling to me from my shelf -- I think I need to finally pull it down soon and read it to see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we actually have lots of authors in common, most of the stuff that Jan reads that I have also read and liked he likes as well, it's just that he doesn't read that much (Potter books, George R R Martin, he also liked Ready Player One a lot just like me - we are both nerds :p). Although I've definitely inspired him to pick up more books with my book blog :)

      As I said in another comment I think Burial Rites is worth a go, and I'm curious to see how it will work out for you :)

      Delete
  4. Seems like a great month! Martian Chronicles is also my all-time favourite! I re-read it just two years ago and loved it again! Something by Rowell and Ready Player One are on my TBR. And I really need to read some Fforde... Where do I start with him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High-five! I think I've read Martian Chronicles 3 or 4 times now in total (though this was first time in English, I used to have a book in Estonian, which I lent out and never got back). Bradbury was such a great author, The Illustrated Man was fantastic too and his novels are okay I think.

      I've read four Thursday Next books by Fforde and then Shades of Grey (first book of another, dystopian series) - to you I'd safely recommend either, though I think you are the kind who can totally appreciate all the literary nerdness that Thursday Next brings. Shades of Grey is a bit different and for me wasn't as good, but many many people have really liked it, so I'm probably not a good person to follow here. But definitely give him a go, he's such a clever creative author!

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a great reading month, with so many amazing books.
    Blade Runner is an old film, but a very good one, of course with the amazing Dutch actor Rutger Hauer! (sorry, little bit of national pride here :-) )

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT'S who the blonde guy was - of course! :) I thought the whole film how familiar he looked but later I fell asleep and then forgot to check.

      Thank you for the comment, Bettina!

      Delete
  6. Glad you had such a good reading month :)
    I've had Jacob de Zoet for years now, I've been putting it off, thinking that there's no way it can be as good as Cloud Atlas. Your mini-review has encouraged me that it can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please read de Zoet - not many people do and I'm very interested to see what other people think of it. It's a very different book from Cloud Atlas I think, which is a good thing and prevents from forced comparisons between the two.

      Delete
  7. I'm very curious about Jasper Fforde, as I have read none of the books. Blade Runner is probably my husband's favourite sci-fi movie. I like it, but I prefer the book so I do hope you get to read it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fforde is never boring, I would recommend to at least try :)

      Oh, it's good to hear you liked the book more. Usually I happen to see the opposite opinions I think.

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of awesome books there, very eclectic choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian, it does look like March was quite an eclectic reading month. :)

      Delete
  9. What a great selection, and so varied. I have Burial Rites lined up to read this month and have heard so much buzz about it, I can't wait. I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel last weekend and can highly recommend it. It's visually stunning - an absolute delight from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to what you think of Burial Rites :)

      It's great to hear from someone who has seen The Grand Budapest Hotel already, I think it's a fairly new movie everywhere. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it as well, just like all the other Wes Anderson movies. :)

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear you had an excellent month in reading! :) I definitely need to pick up Burial Rites and bump up Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet (which still might be a while as there are a few ARCs pressing for my attention atm, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those ARCs, eh ;) I hope you'll love both Burial Rites and The Thousand Autumns... once you get to them.

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)