Saturday, December 28, 2013

TOP 5 Best Book Covers - Book Kaleidoscope Day 3


Book Kaleidoscope 2013 is hosted by Fanda at Fanta Classiclit. In here we will recapture our favourite moments, memories and experiences from fiction read in 2013. And lists! There will be lists. Who doesn't love a list?

The topic for Day 3 is TOP 5 Best Book Covers:

Rank five covers of books you have read in 2013. Pick the edition that you really read, but if you read ebook, at least pick the one that you used for your post. Tell us why you think them gorgeous.

This was a difficult choice. I bought so many books this year, and so many of them had very nice covers. But here is my selection of five:


The Eyre Affair

I fell hard for the covers of this series, and I am utterly bummed that I haven't managed to find book number two with the matching cover. I have purchased books up to number five, and I love the design of Thursday Next series. It has a great retro feel, the rainbow-coloured car is so cool, I like the font of the title and the worn edges.


The Golem and the Djinni

Even though I was not the biggest fan of Helene Wecker's debut, there is something about this cover that appealed to me greatly. Mostly the colour of the night sky - so pretty.


For Whom the Bell Tolls

A bit of an unexpected choice - this cover became my favourite after I had finished the book. When I look at it, it seems to transfer the feels that I got from reading the book perfectly (the sound of planes above, the smell of moist soil in Spanish forests...)


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 

The only reason I finally decided to get Harry Potter books and read them were those new Scholastic covers. It's hard to choose a favourite among them, but I will go with the first one, as this is the one I first saw and it made a strong impression on me. I think the cover wonderfully captures the atmosphere of the alley and the book series.


Ship of Magic

Even though I own the small paperback copy of this book, I love the cover - it's all golden and shiny and has nice textures on it, and again, I like what has been done to the edges. I have the whole Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb in the same design and I love these covers.

Looking at it now, I think I might have a thing with some kind of a vehicle on cover... (a ship, planes, a car? HP number two with the flying car on the cover was almost in the list as well...)

---

The next topic: TOP 5 of your own criteria. I am not yet sure whether I will post about this topic, it mainly depends whether inspiration strikes or not.
 

8 comments:

  1. These covers are indeed beautiful! I love the Hemingway cover.

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bettina! The cover fits the book itself perfectly :)

      Delete
  2. Nice choices! I love the Ship of Magic cover, the version I have is cartoonish and looks a little silly IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen those more cartoonish covers and I'm not a biggest fan either. If possible I'd like to get all the Robin Hobb books in the style of Ship of Magic :)

      Delete
  3. I have the same Eyre Affair cover, although I am yet to read the book....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it from one of your bookshelf photos :) I wonder if and how much you'd enjoy this book series, it's so strange at times that can be really a hit and miss.

      Delete
  4. Ohh...the Harry Potter cover, I love it!!
    The Hemingway Vintage cover is very similar to A Farewell To Arms, but I like this one better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very nice Harry Potter book set! I would have preferred the English version (with the Philosopher's Stone), but oh well sacrifices need to be made...

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)