Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sunday Snippets #15

... or how Robert ruined Christmas. We have ferry tickets to Estonia for tomorrow, but it's yet unsure if we will be able to visit my parents and relatives for the holidays because - yes, Robert is sick.
 
When I fully realised it yesterday morning, I just sat and thought it must be my own personal holiday curse. Mammu fell ill in August, when our vacations began, and needed to be given medications three times a day, so that was all that we did during summer vacation. Now it's Christmas holidays and Robert is sick. It's so absurd I don't even know what to think.
 
I don't even know what's wrong with him other than that he just doesn't eat and doesn't play and is not his normal self. We took him to the vet yesterday (they should have some programme for regulars, really...), the initial examination didn't indicate what might be the problem, nor did the blood work.
 
I'm really tired of pets being sick, and wish this year was over already!
 
On more bookish notes, I finished A Christmas Carol this week, a lovely buddy read we had with Sam and Christine. I've also been reading The Quantum Thief for a while now - it is a mind-blowing book but unfortunately quite difficult to follow, especially if your mind is occupied with a lot of worrysome stuff. I also started The Road by Cormac McCarthy - a happy Christmas read this is not. I'm kind of craving for some nice classics book and have been thinking of North and South for more than once now, maybe I'll pick that up during the holidays.
 
That was my depressive Sunday post - forgive me for being gloomy during holidays. I hope Robert will start feeling better soon, that would be like, a little Christmas miracle and the biggest gift I could get.

10 comments:

  1. Oh no, that's seriously bad timing! Is there no one you trust that could look after Robert for you, that would really spoil him? And I suppose you aren't allowed to take cats across the border?

    I hope things look up soon, and that you get to spend some time with your friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of taking Robert with, but there was the problem of documents not being up do date (obviously I wasn't planning to travel with pets :) ) and secondly his situation was serious enough I figured that moving him from his home environment would have created a lot additional stress on an already weakened organism. He was in a very bad condition, in so bad that I wouldn't put the burden of looking after that sick of a pet on anyone else's burden and secondly, I'm not sure I would trust anyone else with my sick pet (I have a lot of past experience treating very ill cats from my years in cat shelter).

      He is feeling better now, though, and I will hopefully see my parents in the beginning of the January. :)

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your sick pet, especially if this will mess up your travel plans again. Poor all of you!
    I loved the series North and South (with Richard Armitage!) have you seen it yet? It is really good.

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bettina. I haven't seen the North and South series, but it has been talked about very highly by many people so I am planning to watch it when I'm done with the book :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about Robert! I hope you do get your Christmas miracle and he's feeling better in time for you to travel.

    I didn't have any pets growing up, but often was sick myself on Christmas, my dad's birthday, and sometimes summer vacation -- so I was the spoilsport! Thankfully when I finally had my tonsils removed, I stopped ruining holidays & birthdays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine! We didn't get to travel this time around, but I changed the tickets for the beginning of January.

      Sicknesses during holidays are awful, whether it'd be a child or a cat or an adult (I also remember one Christmas from childhood when my voice was totally gone :D)

      Delete
  4. I feel like this is just a generally kind-of gloomy Christmas season. At least, I've seen several other bloggers (and myself, of course) that is kind of done with it and just looking forward to the new year.

    But poor Robert! I hope he starts feeling better :-( I can only imagine how stressful that is for you, I would hate to leave Gabby even for a day if she wasn't feeling good. Hopefully it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Robert was feeling a bit better on Monday morning (which was the day of the travel plans), so I was even considering leaving and hoping for the best, but what a good thing we didn't go because he took for a lot worse later that evening. Now he is feeling better so I can finally have proper good night's sleep, hopefully :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about Robert. Get well soon, little man! I really hope it doesn't spoil your christmas too much and you can still spend some time with friends and family. Sending my best wishes to you all (including Robert) and Christmas cheer.

    Merry Christmas, Riv. It has been lovely to meet you (so to speak) this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did spend time with Jan's family - good thing they live like a walk's distance from here (so I came to check on cat in between the foods).

      Right back at ya, Ellie - it has been wonderful to talk bookish things with you this year!

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)