Friday, November 1, 2013

The Moonstone readalong - the tour of my copy!

 
I greet you, fellow Wilkie enthusiasts. It's November! So all this waiting is finally over and we can sink into our books without feeling any guilt.
 
In this post I shall introduce my copy of The Moonstone!
 
 
 
 
This is what it looks like, it is from the series called Oneworld Classics, of which I heard for the first time. But the book doesn't look too shabby, so maybe I can stumble upon some other books from this series in the bookshop. (Also, it was a lot cheaper than, say, Penguin Classics edition.)
 
 
The length of the story itself is 460 pages and there are several nifty additions to the story, such as
* photos of Wilkie, his family, his women, and his home (see photo above);
* preface, x2;
* notes on the text;
* extra material: Wilkie Collins's life, Wilkie Collins's works, Adaptations, Select bibliography, Acknowledgments (by the publisher) and the list of Oneworld Classics books.
 
 
This edition was published in 2007.

6 comments:

  1. I really like the Oneworld Classics - very sleek and clean. I think I own one (maybe) but I definitely like the cover picture on this. I love that you get pictures of Wilkie too!

    I don't think I have ever been more excited for a new month to start (except July because it's my birthday) and I am well and truly in the mood for Wilkie. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I am almost half way through the book I have to say I like this book, the spine is really sturdy and there is no threat of it being bent in any way.

      I'm trying not to read TOO fast cos, you know, I really don't want the book to end, but then again, there are other Wilkie books out there *phew*

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a beautiful edition! As for the novel, it's my favourite among all Collins's works (and I've read all of them, I think) and it was one of the first books I read in English without adaptation... Sweet memories :) Hope you enjoy this read-a-long! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't know you're such a Wilkie fan :) I have a feeling this is definitely not my last meetup with Collins, it's just the matter of what to read next... I'm really enjoying the book but can't really say yet which I like better, this or The Woman in White, they both definitely have their virtues.

      Delete
  3. I love The Moonstone. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rob! As much as I've read (200ish pages), I totally love it too :)

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)