Thursday, November 14, 2013

Spinning Through Winter Holidays - Classics Spin #4

Or actually #3 for me because I did not take part in the last spin due to family issues and major reading slump.
 
But, I am back and ready with vengeance! (Not really, but in a way.)
 
If you want to know more what is Classics Spin, how we are spinning and what you have to do to spin along, click here on Classics Club page.
 
For Spin #1 and #2, I divided books into different categories, but this time the list will be completely random and books are going to be in the order in which random.org decided that they should be.
 
 
1. Daphne du Maurier "Rebecca"
2. Thomas Hardy "Jude the Obscure"
3. Barbara Kingsolver "The Poisonwood Bible"
4. Mary Shelley "Frankenstein"
5. Jeffrey Eugenides "Middlesex"
6. Umberto Eco "The Name of the Rose"
7. Henry James "The Portrait of a Lady"
8. Vladimir Nabokov "Invitation to a Beheading"
9. Toni Morrisson "Beloved"
10. Elizabeth Gaskell "Cranford"
11. Alexander Solzhenitsyn “One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich”
12. John Steinbeck "East of Eden"
13. Willa Cather “My Ántonia”
14. George Orwell "Animal Farm"
15. Henrik Ibsen "A Doll's House"
16. John Steinbeck "The Winter of Our Discontent"
17. Emily Brontë ”Wuthering Heights”
18. John le Carre "Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy"
19. Richard Adams "Watership Down"
20. Elie Wiesel "Night"
 
I think the Universe is trying to send a message here, because number 42 showed up four times (that is Jude the Obscure in the list). And John Steinbeck managed to make it to the list with two books, so that must be a sign too.
 
I currently own 8 of those books (4 physical copies, 4 on Kindle).
 
It is a very good list because I can't say I would be against reading any of those books at this particular moment, except maybe that I am a bit suspicious towards Henry James after the failure with The Turn of the Screw.
 
There are only two re-reads in the list (Beloved, Wuthering Heights).
 
11 are such books that I am very excited about - wow, that is a huge number (Rebecca, Jude the Obscure, The Poisonwood Bible, Frankenstein, Middlesex, The Name of the Rose, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, East of Eden, Animal Farm, Watership Down and Night).
 
Spin number will be announced on Monday, 18th of November. Stay tuned! 

20 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read Middlesex -- hadn't put it on my list, but now I think of it, it's definitely a modern classic. Good luck with the spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was quite lenient when putting together Classics Club list, afterall, it's my list and should reflect my interests and understanding of classics. I also have "Hours" by Michael Cunningham there, which is definitely questionable as a classic piece, but since it's so tightly connected to another classic book I wanted to read, it seemed fitting.

      Delete
  2. Great selection of books, I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them. Hopefully you don't get Henry James. Maybe you need a little break from him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think I need a break from James but it would also be interesting to see what his longer works have to offer - who knows, maybe I could break ties with him once and for all if he really isn't my cup of tea :) Thanks!

      Delete
  3. This is a great list of books, and a lot of them are on my "50 classics" list, even though they haven't made it on my spin list. I really enjoyed My Antonia and The Name of the Rose. Good luck with your spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda wish I got The Name of the Rose - reading this is so long overdue!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. You'll love East of Eden! It's a big one but a great story and the movie with James Dean is pretty good too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been such a long time since I read Steinbeck so I'm very excited to read him again and wouldn't mind either of his books to be chosen, but especially East of Eden :)

      Delete
  5. Love this list!! East of Eden and The Portrait of a Lady are two books that I loved… good luck Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The list came out very good this time and I'm excited to see which number will be pulled from the top hat ;)

      Delete
  6. I hope you get one of the books you are excited about. Rebecca is just awesome, I spun it during the first spin and I was pretty neutral about starting it. But then I read it and it just blew me away with it's amazingness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you read and loved Rebecca, and I've wanted to read it ever since. I was so close getting it the last time - soo maybe this time :))

      Delete
  7. Rebecca, Middlesex and Night are all completely fantastic. You do have some pretty intimidating ones on there too..Good luck and I hope the spin is good to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James and Ibsen are a bit intimidating for me I think... But so many more I am very excited about, so let's hope odds remain in my favour :)

      Delete
  8. I kind of have a crush on this list. Fantastic choices! I think you'll be on a good path no matter what book you end up reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks, I'm pretty happy with the list too. Thanks, random.org ;)

      Delete
  9. I was considering doing the spin this time around, but with my new schedule I can't even promise myself I'd get my classic read... I STILL haven't finished The Woman in White. FOR SHAME.

    I hope that your pick ends up being The Poisonwood Bible. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I also skipped last time just because I knew I wouldn't have time (and energy) to dedicate to the spin book.

      I would definitely not mind The Poisonwood Bible, it's in my autumn list anyway so I really want to read it! :)

      Delete
  10. Oh I wish you would have gotten East of Eden. Its a fantastic book. Despite it's size, I've read the book twice and want to read again. Such a good book!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)