Friday, January 10, 2014

Bout of Books: Challenge - Create a Story!

 
Create a Story challenge is hosted by Mandi Kaye over at Never Too Fond of Books. The challenge rules are following:
  1. Open your current book to the last page you read.
  2. Using the last word of every line, create a poem or story. You must use every word (but they do not have to be in order), and you may add punctuation as necessary. If a word is split between the end of the line and the beginning of the next one, you may choose whether or not to use it.
  3. Create a post (or tweet or video) that showcases your masterpiece. If you don’t have anywhere else to post it, you can add it as a comment here and use the comment link as your entry.
  4. Add it to the linky.
My first thought was "this sounds fun but potentially more complicated than I anticipate". Given that the book I am reading is Packing for Mars and the chapter I am in is titled "Houston, We Have a Fungus: Space Hygiene and the Men Who Stopped Bathing for Science", I realised this is going to be fun indeed (and potentially really gross!).


So the words that I got from the last page I read were in the following order (I added all the split words as well):
 
plagued, ever, of, habits, migrate, men's, bacteria, cases, armchairs, hair, swollen, old-timey, around, "furuncle", is, a, out, normally, unwashed, buttocks, getting, hot-tub, the, the, an, Arizona, soup, the, to, until
 
And here's the "story":

A "furuncle"
 
Old-timey armchairs migrate to the bacteria plagued Arizona until the cases of normally unwashed men’s hair is getting out of an ever swollen hot-tub around a soup habits.  The buttocks!

I am sure the result would be quite different if I was reading something more poetic... But this was a fun challenge, I'm still giggling! :)

14 comments:

  1. The buttocks! Nicely done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story would have made my day if it was't already made miserable by one of my professors :)

    If the book is covering such things, it's amazing! I remember reading some interview with a woman astronaut, and one of the things she mentioned is that having an unfailingly regular cycle is a must if you want to go to space, because nobody wants even to think how to deal with it in zero gravity. Somehow, I was amazed, because you never think of such things what you for example watch TV broadcasts from the space, and such details are what makes their life there.

    I'm going to look if they have an ebook version of it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oww, bad professor!

      I really recommend you to read this book if all kinds of "daily life" things in space interest you. (Only I think that non-fiction books for e-readers are generally even more expensive than physical copies, I got this one for 10-11 euros I think, and the Kindle copy is pricier...) She covers a wide array of topics about life in space in Packing for Mars, some of the things I even had never pondered about! Hygiene in the early missions that lasted for a few weeks, for example, up to the development of space toilets throughout the history of space exploration as well as joys and miseries regarding what you can eat in zero gravity :) VERY interesting!

      Delete
  3. Great job with the challenge! I am still working on mine, it is a bit harder than I though it would be. :) Hope you are enjoying Packing for Mars and your other reads this week. Happy reading!

    Erin @ Let's Evaluate
    my Bout of Books Updates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot harder than I thought it was :D Thanks, Packing for Mars was the best read so far this year.

      Delete
  4. Amazing! You should be so proud of yourself for putting that together. Whoa, I'll try to remember I need a regular cycle if I ever decide to go into space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes there is definitely A LOT to consider before heading to the space :)

      Delete
  5. So funny! Thanks. I needed a laugh today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm giggling too, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great job on creating a story for today's challenge! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really like the creative challenges people come up with.

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)