Sunday, March 31, 2013

Closing the lid of March

We can has some of that? Please???
*punches the writing slump in the face* there...
 
March is almost over, and spring is nowhere to be seen. What gives? I'm so tired all the time that it's not even funny anymore.
 
Just out of curiosity (and possibly in masochistic desire to shock myself) I went through all the Brain Food posts since the beginning of January (added the books I have gotten in the past weeks and have not put into a post yet) to make a little calculation of how many books I have acquired and how many of them I have read.
 
 
Books hoarded - 35 (of which 3 I received for free, 1 is a lent book, and the rest I [or my boyfriend] have paid for).
Books read - 13.
 
I think it could be worse. My Classics Club project includes many of the books that come from my already-earlier-existing library, so I am not reading only the new books. Most books I have bought are classics, plus I am also going through some of the novels longlisted for this year's Women's Prize. It is also noteworthy that the classics I buy are not necessarily meant for reading right away, but they are more like long-time investment.
 
Anyway, back to March.
 
It was surprisingly good reading month, mainly because I managed to balance nicely between the classics and other stuff. I read six books - three classics and three "others":
 
* J. Austen "Persuasion" (for Classics Club)
* G. Flynn "Gone Girl" (from Women's Prize longlist; however, I read it before I knew that it was longlisted)
* E. Hemingway "For Whom the Bell Tolls" (for Classics Club; for Modern March event)
* S. Lewis "Arrowsmith" (for Classics Club; for Classics Spin event)
* J. Picoult "My Sister's Keeper"
* M. Semple "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" (from Women's Prize longlist)
 
Page count - 236+466+490+450+500+321=2463.
 
In April, I will participate in Zoladdiction event. Although I initially planned to go for two Zolas, I have changed my mind by now and will be reading only "Germinal". I would like to dedicate more time to Women's Prize books - I have Kingsolver's "Flight Behavior" and Segal's "The Innocents" at home, plus this week the boyfriend ordered me Atkinson's "Life After Life" (can't wait to stick my claws into that one!) and Shafak's "Honour". I also can't wait to start Hilary Mantel's "Wolf Hall".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)