Sunday, October 6, 2013

Closing the lid of September

September, what a glorious month you were.
 
I finished 8 books. And, the number would have been higher if I hadn't decided to pick up the 900-page brick in the last week (which I also have finished by now).
 
* The Night Circus by E. Morgenstern (RIP VIII)
* Villette by C. Bronte (Classics Club)
* The Well of Lost Plots by J. Fforde
* Gardens of the Moon by S. Erikson
* The Universe Versus Alex Woods by G. Extence
* Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
* Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
* The Unbearable Lightness of Being by M. Kundera (Classics Club)
 
That's 3483 pages. Three books were 500+ pages.
 
Since I rated all of those books with 4/5 or 5/5, with the exception of the first Harry Potter (which got 3/5), it got me thinking if I am the kind of reader that is just very generous or if I am just awesome at picking books to read. I kinda lean towards the latter, at least for this month, because there really aren't many random books among those. Okay, classics can be hit and miss - but The Unbearable Lightness of Being was a re-read, so I knew I like it, and Villette I was fairly certain I will like. I love Thursday Next books and Harry Potters are simply very well written. Alex Woods got a lot of praise from bloggers I trust, so I was fairly confident about that as well.
 
Also, right now I am reading The Turn of the Screw (for RIP VIII) and I am not really feeling it (about half way through), so possibly there will be a story rated 2 or so...

8 comments:

  1. YAY, you had a great September! I'm so glad you liked Alex Woods :-) :-) I heart that book so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex Woods was such a loveable book. Now if i could only find a way to get out of reviewing slump...

      Delete
  2. I sometimes wonder if I'm too generous with my ratings, but then I figure I've just gotten good at selecting books I'm pretty sure will work for me.

    You had a great reading month. I'm so glad you are enjoying Harry Potter. I bought the Alex Woods book recently so I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Alex Woods is getting attention among bloggers, it's such a precious little book.

      I'd like to think as well that I'm just good at selecting books :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, you were on fire this month! I bet it felt great to read so much :)

    I wasn't sure about Turn of the Screw either...in fact, James in general is kind of a bit meh in my book.

    I hope October is as successful for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such high hopes for Henry James myself, but I'm not feeling Turn of the Screw at. all. In fact, I'm kinda wanting to not finish... I'll definitely try something else from him, but yes, just a bit disappointing.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on reading so many books in September. I was thinking about reading Turn of the Screw, but everyone seems to agree it's not a very good book. What did you think of Vilette?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Villette a great deal, but I have to admit that it wasn't the easiest of reads. I shall pull myself together one of these days and write reviews.

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)